Sunday, October 30, 2005

Uh, could I have some salt and ketchup with my crow?

So, let's see if I can remember the way I analyzed the David Eckstein signing. Hmmm, oh yes, "Oh my gosh, I just stepped on a rusty nail in the middle of Antarctica, a storm is moving in, threatening several feet of snow, the wind is hurricane force, I have no more water and I had to eat my childhood pet to survive two days ago. THE ECKSTEIN SIGNING IS WORSE."

Live by win shares, die by win shares.

Let's go to the videotape, err, the 2005 win share totals for shortstops. Eckstein has 28 win shares to lead both leagues. Tied for second are Rafael Furcal and Michael Young - two younger and more heralded shortstops - at least in my eyes. I'd take either for my fantasy team before Eckstein. Wait, this is eating crow time. I'm saying I'd take two worse shortstops. Man, I have a problem.

Eckstein ranks second in batting win shares to Michael Young (see, I was right!) and just ahead of Miguel Tejada. Let me say that again. Miguel Tejada. I'm still rubbing my eyes. Former MVP and $11 million dollar player for the Baltimore Orioles ranks behind David Eckstein. Well, Eckstein did have a higher OBP.

Fielding win shares will show us the truth of David Eckstein. Nope. Fifth behind Juan Uribe, Jhonny Peralta, Furcal and Jack Wilson. This guy that heaves the ball worse than I do? Ranks ahead of Orlando Cabrera and Edgar Renteria? This has to be Bizarro Major League Baseball.

The other interesting thing - Uribe makes about $100K less. Peralta makes $2 million less in his first full year in the bigs. The others mentioned all make more. Worst signing? I think I am going to need some mustard as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home